This week Interactive Minds ran their first networking and education event for digital and interactive professionals in Brisbane. We had Louis Moore from REA Group as well as David Jordine from Omniture presenting about how they measure online success.
Some of the interesting things I learnt from the presentations were as follows:
- RealEstate.com.au (and the REA Group) is such a big empire. They think of their success measures in terms of Customers, Agents and Vendors & Advertisers.
- Unique visitor and unique browser measures are still really important to companies and one of the first metrics looked at (regardless of how successful the site is).
- Email is leveraged by REA across all audience groups as a way of maintaining relevance and engagement.
- REA use a beta site (property.com.au) to test new methods before they are rolled out across the main sites.
- There are 4 key categories of why companies have a website presence: (1) eCommerce (2) Lead Generation (3) Content/Subscription (4) Service/Support
- Omniture look at 3 types of optimisation for success: Campaign Optimisation, Site Optimisation and Customer Optimisation
- Omniture have some good reporting for drop off positioning on conversion funnels
- Ways to measure success online include the expected UB’s, session duration, conversions, revenue as well as things like cost per acquisition, response rates to ads, interaction metrics (content related) with customers, referrals, repeat traffic and lots more! More and more companies are starting to track and leverage this information which is great.
The turnout for the event was great with almost 70 people attending, a great effort everyone!
Thanks to everyone who came along and for those who weren’t able to make it, I hope to meet you at one of our next events!